Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 8- all downhill from here

Okay so my Aunt Mel sent me a message " love the blog but it feels unfinished", she a teacher, best do my home work.

If we thought we took a while to get over the pass, our bags took longer. Carena had said this would happen and I had packed my down jacket and pants. No problem. Finally was able to eat, and rested well after losing so much elevation. We were back in the 9am start and the route was almost all downhill.

We had spoke of riding together at our weekend pace but once the whistle went the double track turned to single track and mayhem ensued. I had to push hard to get around people and get a clear path. By then Kate had out into turbo and Erik was chasing hard. So much for that.

However, after I got lost for a minute in a small town I crossed a bridge and Kate was down with a flat. I stopped to help and it was good as I turned off my brain and let Kate lead all the ups and downs. We passed several other racers with various problems, it was like the bikes finally gave up after kilometers of abuse.

With only 2km to go we passed Erik who had been sitting in second for most of the day and only realized it as he flatted. Too bad he was getting stronger as the race went on and the podium was in his grasp. Thru the small town of Tatopani and DONE!!!!

As it was a shorter stage a lot of the racers came in around the same time and there was lots of cheers and shouting.

Totapani has natural hot springs within 50m of the hotel and it didn't take too much convincing to grab a beer and soak the legs. It was the first hot shower in many days and first beer of the trip. I don't know which was better.

After dinner Snow Monkey arranged with some locals to put on a traditional dance for us. It was a lot of fun as they flipped back and forth between being serious and next dance everyone was up, including Kate and myself. No matter the age it was like a 10 year olds birthday party with people laughing and being silly.

Unfortunately, I am a bug collector and picked up the Mustang Valley strain. I have never been in that much GI pain and it did not pass until 4am, but it passed with a vengance. So just when I thought I was out of trouble I had to pack the TP again. It was an untimed group ride day and I was able to ride with Gerry and Erik, very casual execpt when Gerry wanted to show us how strong he was feeling on the ups.  Kate got hit hard too and was a mess on the 3hr bus ride to Pokhara.

All ailments, strife, and hardships seem to be forgotten as we rolled into the fine hotel with a Canadiana feel.

Kate had to miss the awards but it was fun to see everyone showered up and get their finishers medals and t-shirts.

One mire rest day in Pokhara and then back to KTM.

No comments:

Post a Comment