Thursday, March 6, 2014

Day 4 of the yak

 So what do you say about stage 4 if the Yak? Believe it or not I had a very positive state of mind most of the day. Not really an experience I thought I would have today. Unlike other hard days I have had. Normally the mind is busy with tactics and strategies. 

But that was racing for podiums and not in a place like this. My inner voice instead of saying this is stupid, I should quit, or slow up was saying what the f&#@ am I doing? :) but in the good way. 

The views of peaks, valleys, and people were awesome. 

I had a good start but faded after 4hrs. Might be the 2x10 with a 26 tooth granny. My little chicken legs are going to be huge! I think stairs and a lot of low cadence work would have helped. That and not losing my precious chocolate. 

I would most definitely be interested in coming back to this region for trekking/climbing. There is a guy here who is in the know and talking about 6500m treks. Keeps the risk lower. I can't imagine what it would be like looking down on these valleys and peaks. 

We left Besisehar and left noisy civilization behind. It what they call a jeep track but is more like ATV trail most of the time. It meanders into the sides of the valleys and back out for some amazing views. Tried to take some pictures but the camera lens got foggy. 

I think this is the Nepal people get excited telling you about. I will say the same thing about here as the Grand Canyon or Banff. No picture makes sense until you experience it. It feels like I have a deeper understanding and a sense of perspective about how small we are and how massive and beautiful spits in the world are. Man I have to lay off the happy smokes getting all deep like that! Just kidding Mom. 

Although this has been some serious km and vert most of the riders are not really complaining. More like commeting. I have been to other stage races and there has been  complaining about every thing from the trail to Tue food to the accommodations. Here with this gang even if you didn't know what you were in for, it does warranty complaining. Bags are late, food can take over 1hr like it did last night, the trial but whatever. I think its a combination of where you are, managing the expectations and knowing the locals really are trying to help you out. 
Is this race for everyone, hell no! I would have to advise anyone thinking about doing it to have a long introspective chat with someone who has done it. 

Is Nepal for everyone? Hell ya! Land in Katmandu, spend a day marvelling at the massive chaos of humanity and get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment