Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 5 Yak Attack

Today the porters had to leave with our stuff at 6am. That meant getting up at 530am and changing into cycling gear and awaiting the 9am start.

So from Chame to Manang is 30km and 1200m climbing. The grade was steep to start and I had to conserve what little power the legs had left.

The scenery changed dramatically during the day. We left the town gained elevation and were in cedar forests. Pretty awesome to be rding over pine needles. That was not the only thing we rode over: snow, ice, mud, mule poop, donkey poop, goat poop.

But just when you think you are hard core caring your bike up a snow covered road in the trees with only a small trough to walk in...you have to get out if the way of 6 guys on small motorcycles/big scooters. They drive them anywhere and everywhere.

The mule trains were neat to see, walking single file but sometimes abreast, which makes passing difficult. Some do keys trains didn't even have a person around or none that I could see. They were just dutifully hiking up and down the road like they don every day. Alana told me to keep an eye out fir the ones with tassles and I was by disappointed.

Manang quite the town.  Nestled on an plateau above a river in a wide vally it gets quite a lotof sun. I actually remeber the view from the Eric top patio where we are staying from one of Alana's photos. I don't know if much has changed in 20 years. I tried to recreate her picture. I will have to see how well I did when I get back.

I went for a small hike on our rest day with the Nepalese organisor/logistics man named Snow Monkey. Hé ass bien in Manang and you can really sense his pride. He know all the peaks and their elevations, the local flora and fauna, and what has been happening. He has guided documentaries, and reasearch parties.

My stomach has been a bit off. Nothing crazy just goes sidesay and churns then settles down. I really felt the altitude yesterday and wonder how it will go for the next 2 days. I think the racing may be over and it is time for just trekking.

No comments:

Post a Comment