Sunday, January 12, 2014

Yak Attack 2014

What he is writing again?? Yep, it recently came to my attention that while being incredibly bored at work a few of the people in my cycling class read my blog. So I will try this again, thanks Jerry and Scott.

This blog started with my first trip to South Africa to do the Cape Epic in 2007. Fitting that I start writing again while preparing to go out and do another silly race over seas, the Yak Attack. It is a mountain bike race clockwise around the Annapurna hiking trial. How the H#$L did I hear of this?? Well, our good friend and adventure race star Carena Dean did this same race a few years back. She raced and her husband, Jeremy, hiked and took photos. Carena's blog.

The seed was planted. Move to Spring 2013- Craig Stappler suckered 8 of us to do the Water Valley 210. Jeff's account of his first WV210. Another merry day on the cross bikes covering 210km of pavement and gravel, with a 60 km stretch of no support. Riding beside adventure man Erik Bakke we talked of plans for the summer. Alana, my wife, and I have been looking to shake things up a bit and take a break from the multiple stage race summers. Erik took this away and came back with the Yak Atack. I said yes. Why?? Must have been drinking or just finished a set of hard intervals, either way I was out of my head.

I paid the deposit but was going to pull the plug several times but Alana, who has hiked the Annapurna circuit, kept me in the game. Promises of adventure, views, great people, scenery, riding, vistas, foreign lands, landscapes, yak butter tea............. So I am going because I think i may just find the reason I started this crazy game, ADVENTURE!!.


No comments:

Post a Comment