Wednesday, January 22, 2014

How to train for the Yak Attack

In this Episode Jeff will try to shed some light on how to train for a race in Nepal where they describe your day, not in % single track, double track, or road, but in % rideable!

It looks like this race is divided into 3 different flavors, the first 3 days are at an altitude similar to Calgary so will be pedal spinning racing. the next 4 days, one of which is an acclimation day, are survival. This includes the 17,760 foot pass! and a lot of hiking. Then it appears we just go down hill until a group ride on the last day.

Our Canadian Cartel is Erik Bakke, Kate Aardal, Gerry "The Ger" McQuaig, and myself. Each of us has a lot of stage race experience but they are starting to freak me out with all the prep they are doing. UV bottle here, GPS maps there, Back pack where??? (more on the back pack below). Gerry is in perpetual fitness because he just never stops, Erik only needs to stop work at his high paced job and he gets in shape, and Kate is finishing her 3rd or 4th training camp, or something like that. I spent most of last summer and fall working so I did not get into my usual level of Base fitness. Cross was good because I could fake my way thru a 50 minute workout and a 1 hour race, but a 3 hour ride?? Let me tell you how that went....

2 Saturdays ago Erik, Kate and myself left Cadence at 9am and it was -9C. Dressing for the +3 high we were all a little cold to start and Kate wanted us to see how great of form she had developed down south. Erik and I held on and we enjoyed a nice 2.5 hour ride to Cochrane thru some of the back road, cross field, up coulee, down stream bed routes they make up.

By the time I got to Cochrane I was shelled, done, burnt, bonked, tired. I ate light but had 2 coffees with lots of cream and off we went. Blue skies and a west wind. Ah, that west wind held the snow and cold they were forecasting. Started as rain to get you wet, turned to cold and snow to freeze you and pushed you so hard you geared out so you couldn't generate any heat. Kate actually coasted for 5km without pedaling, even on the ups. Made it home, napped, ate, napped, ate. slept. Did not go on ride Sunday.

During the weeks I have been up early to make sure i can get my workouts done. They are pretty simple and short but that makes them attainable. Monday is 20 minutes at threshold, Wednesday is Tabattas ( high end 15 second intervals), Thursday is the class I teach in Currie Barracks and then its Saturday agian.

Last Saturday, when it was +9, Ryan Young and i headed out for a ride. No plan just a ride. We did some good tempo, met up with Warren Muir, had a lovely chat, met a new friend Gabrielle, who drafted us but did buy us a coffee in Bragg and then cooked it home. Eat, nap, eat, nap, eat, sleep.

I am trying to get in leg strength, Threshold, and tempo rides in hopes my body remembers what it can do.

What about the hiking Jeff??? Yes, the hiking. Well no use going hiking unless i am carrying my bike right??
So I have plans to go this weekend and this is what Alana and I have created.



I bought, cut and heated some plexi-glass to form a cradle that slides into the bladder poach on my Camel Back!!!! It is light weight, custom made to fit, and allows me to get the bike on and off without too much trouble. Also allows my hands to be free so I can get my hands out for the eventual fall that will happen.

Prototype ready! i will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment