Monday, September 26, 2011

How to properly Sand Bag a Cross Race

If you remember from last year I gave some advice on how to place top 5 in a Cross race.

This year is how right proper win and sandbag a race:

-leave home town so no one knows you( even better is to leave taunting friend behind too)
-drive 14 hours south
-ride for 2 days, enter local cross race in proper category
-get feel of local talent
-ride more
-enter local cross race but at different location
-choose different category
-ride as hard as you can, win
-get free bottle of Gin

Okay that maybe how it unfolded but that was not my intention. I came down to Oregon for a bike trip on the cross bike. the idea was that Dave and I would ride the buff trails. I would get a feel for the cross bike and enter a weekend race.

Rode the MacKenzie River trial and ran the lava sections, super cool. Was getting forecasted flats but also got the unforecasted broken fork. Doh!!

After going form shop to shop we got what we need at Webcycyclery who were also hosting a Thursday night cross. We replaced the fork, jumped in the truck and got to the start with 15 min to go. No warm up, thought I missed the "A40" start started behind "A" but in front of "A40", waiting for them all to pass so I would not be thought of as a cheater and then fought back to race.

Rode Friday on the Phil's trail network for 3 hours.

Okay so why B group, it was earlier in the day and I could still ride after. I thought that it was the start of the season and people would come out from Portland to race. Thought the "B" group which was 35+ would bring more people out. It did not. I think I raced the same guys from the Thursday but I dropped down a category. The course was also in my favor with long flats and few run ups. I missed the bell lap and did an extra, talk about showboating. After the race I got a free bottle of gin as the race was held at Bendistillery. I did not even change and Dave and I went for a 2 hour ride, then washed in the stream and went to the HopsFest. 5 bucks get you a mug and $1 gets you a 4oz pour of way too many. Drank many samples and listened to good local musicians.

So, do I feel bad about it? A little, I hope that the guys from Bend will forgive me inthat I just wanted to get a race, ride and beerfest all in one day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment