Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dry Run in Phoenix




What could be better than leaving -22C and going riding in Phoenix at +24C?? Not that I am rubbing it in as we still had to come back and spend the last frigid days losing our tans and acclimatization. It was still good to get out and feel the joy of riding again.
We took the West Jet flight down where my friend Paul and I got to sit in the front row thus completing one of Paul's life goals. Steve, not wanting any part of us sat several rows back and proceeded to sleep the whole flight.


We were able to get a ride in that night at the McDowell race loops. This is the location of the old Cactus Cup races that were so popular n the late 80s and early 90s. There are 3 separate loops-the Long, sport, and technical loop. The whole reason for this trip was to work out the bugs. I forgot my shoes and broke my seat clamp. How do you like them bugs. Steve lent me his shoes and my wife Alana, being the superstar she is lent me her seat clamp and drove to the bike store for replacement.



Steve, Paul, and myself started on the Technical loop. None of which are over the top hard but you should meter out your excitement for riding on your first day. Steve crashed 30 seconds into the ride on the first drop because he was so excited to be riding again. He graciously picked himself up and we continued on with no further events. We rode for about 1 hour and were treated to a beautiful sunset all the while singing laughing and wondering why we live somewhere that you can't ride year round.



The next day the 8 of the 10 "CAPE CREW"(Jeff, Alana, Steve, Fazian, Paul,Matt, George, Kim), rode the National Trail. The "Teacher of Terror", as the guide calls it, was a true test of every ones skill, and courage. 10 minutes into the ride I fell over backwards and dislocated my left pinkie. I would have a photo but I was a little too freaked out about my finger pointing sideways to snap the shot. My Mom says she can now sleep well at night knowing I am married to a Nurse Practitioner. Alana came down the trail pulled my finger, hehehe, and it just popped back into place. Steve taped it to my other finger and we continued on.






Fazian and Matt trying their hand at the technical climbing.


















This trail has it all. Technical ups and downs, ledges, buff single track, double swooping trails, elevation, good breaks, the works!! We all hit the dirt at some time. Kim may take the prize here but for a guy who has only been a mtb bike a few times he was doing great.




Kim and I comparing wounds at the end of the day.











The Teacher of Terror, just one of the very none forgiving downhills. Steve leading his Cape partner Alana thru the mayhem.


















George bringing everyone home on the Desert Classic.




The Desert Classic wraps up the whole loop on some swooping double track. It is almost Zen like to push a good tempo pace and rail the corners especially after having to walk down most of Telegraph Pass.


We always try to squeeze in a hike up in the Superstition Mountains before the plane ride home. We made it up to the water falls and enjoyed the view before heading back to the land of snow and ice.

It is just days away before we travel 43 hours to South Africa. A cleaning and tweaking of the bikes and we should be good to go. The dry run was all that it was suppose to be.



















































A quick eat ath the boys house and Alana, Paul, Steve and I were looking for our second ride. The boys had put in an earlier ride waiting for us to get organized. The first words out of my mother-in-laws mouth Saturday morning were "all you can eat pancakes". I was out of bed and picking up Paul and Steve in no time. We ended up being the talk of breakfast. 4 hungry athletes chowing down on flapjacks. They could not bring them fast enough. Word travels fast around the Park and most of the folks we sat with knew the whole story of South Africa. After making pigs of ourselves we were a little late to the trail head. oops.



















We finished off a splendid Saturday in style.



































































No comments:

Post a Comment